“Green” Your Hair Care Routine!
by Natalie Bencivenga
July 22, 2022
Can your hair care routine be less wasteful? If you’re like me, maybe you haven’t even given the notion much thought. I buy my shampoo and conditioner, use them, discard — rinse and repeat. But is there a better way to take care of our hair while also taking care of the planet? I researched some tips to help us all make the shift to keeping your hair looking great while being a warrior for the planet! (Yes, both things can be true!)
- Ditch one-use plastics: Our friends at The Refillery in Squirrel Hill have a great program where you bring in your empty plastic containers (or can use theirs) and then fill them up with shampoos, conditioners and other household products. Why throw out a perfectly good bottle when you can just … refill it? The goal is to help end single use plastics and reduce our eco-impact. They will also deliver!
- Try solid shampoo and conditioners: Think of these as like a bar of soap … but for your hair. They are easy to use, too. Simply wet your hair and then rub the shampoo bar through it. Lather with your hands, rinse and repeat with the conditioner. Look for ones that avoid ingredients like sodium stearate, sodium olivate, or sodium cocoate, as those are more soap-like than shampoo.
- Feeling adventurous? Why not try to DIY your own shampoo or conditioner? And here’s a fun fact: Did you know you can make hairspray with lemon slices? Or with aloe? Check out these simple recipes HERE.
- Green your hair supplies: Switch to a wooden-handle brush or comb when it’s time for a new one and consider organic rubber hair ties or biodegradable elastics.
- Simplify your routine. Wait a few days longer to wash your hair when you can. See what products you can live without, which ones you can swap for a greener alternative, and which ones you can use less of. Remember, we all can’t do everything … but we can all do something to reduce our impact on Mother Earth.