Spring Mushroom Stroganoff
by Liz Fetchin, Octofree
May 8, 2023
This comforting vegan dish, inspired by the bounty and variety of spring mushrooms and onions available right now at farmers markets, makes for a hearty, warming dinner that’s the perfect thing to serve during the early, bright and sometimes still a bit chilly spring evenings. It’s easy to make, and the recipe is very adaptable: you can use any mushroom or onion variety that looks good, and all gluten-free, dairy-free ingredients can be swapped for their conventional counterparts if you don’t have dietary restrictions.
Check out more of Liz’s quick dinner recipes at octofree.com, and find her on Instagram at @octofree.
Serves: 4-6 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Large saute pan
1 pound of gluten-free noodles, such as tagliatelle
3 tbsp vegan, soy-free, nut-free butter, divided
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small spring onion, sliced thinly
Salt and pepper
1 pound spring mushrooms of your choosing, washed, dried and sliced thinly
½ cup dry white wine
2 cups vegetable stock, divided
1 tbsp coconut aminos
2 tbsp gluten-free flour
½ cup vegan, nut-free, soy-free plain yogurt
Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Prepare gluten-free noodles per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While the noodles cook, place 2 tbsp vegan butter into a large saute pan and turn the heat to medium.
- When the vegan butter starts to sizzle, add the minced garlic and sliced spring onion, then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are translucent but not brown, about three minutes.
- Add the remaining vegan butter and the mushrooms and saute until they are soft and beginning to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully pour in dry white wine, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits of garlic or mushroom that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine vegetable stock, coconut aminos and gluten-free flour and whisk until well combined.
- Add the stock mixture to the pan, stirring until thickened, then add the vegan yogurt.
- If mixture is too thick for your liking, add the remaining stock and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place cooked noodles into bowls, top with mushroom sauce, garnish with parsley and serve.