Ranch Roasted Chickpeas
by Meghan Rodgers
June 2, 2021
Do you fall prey to the dreaded potato chip snack attack? Ranch Roasted Chickpeas are the perfect protein-packed healthy alternative, and I’m so excited to bring you this recipe!
Salty snack lovers everywhere struggle with curbing those nagging late-afternoon cravings. Store-bought snacks, like chips and cheese doodles, are notoriously loaded with tons of fat and carbohydrates. Along with boasting a healthier nutritional profile in general, roasted chickpeas are high in fiber, so your snacking will leave you satisfied faster and fuller longer. Good for you and a cut back on overall calories? Roasted chickpeas will seriously elevate your savory snack game!
Crispy, crunchy, portable, and kid-friendly, who wouldn’t love this recipe? Plus, you can have a batch ready in minutes with just a few ingredients.
What more can I say? This simple snack will become a new family favorite.
A FEW TIPS FOR ROASTING CHICKPEAS
1] Canned chickpeas are best. Soaking your own tends to add too much water for this purpose.
2] Rinse and dry chickpeas well. Don’t skip this step! Thoroughly rinse those chickpeas under cold water and drain. Then, spread them out on an absorbent kitchen towel to dry. Gently rub chickpeas to remove husks, as husk can trap moisture and interfere with creating a crispy final product.
3] Choose a quality oil. Choose a high-quality oil for best flavor.
4] Dry spices only. Any spices or flavorings that contain moisture will cause your chickpeas to rehydrate and taste a bit soggy. To keep that crunch as long as possible, stick with dry rubs and spices like the Ranch Roasted Chickpea recipe below.
5] Don’t undo it! You want your chickpeas to be a little dark. If they still have shine or if they are still soft, you should place them back in the oven to roast longer.
6] Store in airtight container. Roasted chickpeas are best the day they are made, but they will store for a few days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Ranch Roasted Chickpeas
1 can (15 ounce) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive or coconut oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried dill weed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried chives
3/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 ground black pepper
*Quick tip: Use about 3 tbsp of ranch dressing mix instead
- Preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC.
- Drain chickpeas and rinse under cold water. Then, spread chickpeas in a single layer on kitchen towel to dry, gently rubbing them to remove husk. Dry very well.
- In a small bowl, mix spices together.
- In a separate small bowl, add thoroughly dry chickpeas and drizzle with olive oil. Gently toss until coated. Sprinkle seasoning over chickpeas and stir gently until chickpeas are well coated.
- Spread chickpeas out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until chickpeas are no longer soft, rotating baking sheet halfway to get an even cook.
- When chickpeas are fully roasted, open oven door, turn off oven and keep chickpeas inside. Allow to rest in cooling oven for 30 minutes. (This promotes even more crispiness.)