Begin Your Career in the Electric Utility Industry Today with
Duquesne Light Company
April 5, 2022
Open for applications, Duquesne Light Company’s (DLC) upcoming Electrical Distribution Technology (EDT) program and EDT Prep program are looking for candidates interested in a career in the electric utility industry. At DLC, we’re committed to developing talent throughout our communities and encourage potential candidates to learn more about these career opportunities.
About DLC’s EDT Program
In partnership with the Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC), DLC is accepting applications for its 2022-23 Electrical Distribution Technology (EDT) program. The one-year program, which will begin in August 2022, is designed to prepare students for entry-level skilled craft positions associated with electric utilities. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 6, 2022.
The EDT program consists of courses designed to train incoming candidates to become lineworkers. Program participants will be exposed to the theoretical and practical aspects of working in an electric utility. This includes general education courses like math, introduction to information technology and AC theory, as well as the practical elements of working in overhead, underground and substation maintenance. This is a full-time program where students will attend classes Monday thru Friday, both in the day and evening. In one year, they will complete the 44-credit course and receive a Certificate in Electrical Distribution Technology.
“We’re looking forward to looking through applications of the next class of EDT students. Those who are interested in a career in the electric utility industry and successfully complete the EDT program will be considered for future employment with Duquesne Light,” said Jeffery Peters, Manager, Talent Acquisition.
DLC will offer a five-week paid rotational internship at the end of the first semester, as well as a three-month paid internship at the end of the second semester, where students will be placed with a department. Upon completion of the program, students will receive a Certificate in Electrical Distribution Technology from CCAC.
To review the process and apply, you can visit the job posting here.
EDT Prep Program
The EDT Prep program is part of DLC's School to Work partnership initiative designed to prepare rising seniors and recent graduates for the EDT program and its selection criteria. This full day, virtual program held from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. has two sessions, one for rising seniors and another for recent high school graduates. The readiness program will expose participants to skills applicable to the CAST test, including trades math and reading comprehension, career readiness skills such as resume writing and interview skills, and OSHA and CPR courses. At the completion of the program, participants will take the CAST required for all EDT program applicants.
This year, DLC is offering two sessions:
- Applications will be accepted until June 13, 2022
- Occurs June 20 – July 15, 2022
- The four-week-long June session is for seniors who are graduating this spring or who have recently graduated. This session includes a three-day Wood Pole School at the very beginning of the program so that participants can still be considered for the 2022-2023 EDT Program that begins in August.
- Learn more and apply for the June session.
- Applications will be accepted until July 4, 2022
- Occurs July 11 – July 29, 2022
- The three-week long July session is for rising seniors or recent graduates who would like to apply for the 2023-2024 EDT program. They will follow the application process that will open this fall and attend Wood Pole School in the spring of 2023.
- Learn more and apply for the July session.
To learn more about job opportunities with Duquesne Light Company, you can find more information on their Career page.