At Carmeuse, we define sustainability as “Ensuring the long term prosperity of the company by behaving in a socially and environmentally responsible manner”. This vision is a natural product of our core values which emphasize a long term approach not only the success of the business, but also to the wellbeing of our stakeholders, communities, and our environment.
We base our sustainability program on 3 main pillars that we call the “3Ps”;
These pillars are not to be considered as individual, unrelated activities, but rather, as a mutually-supportive basis for the way that we interact with the world around us, including our customers, employees, families, and of course, our environment.
As we celebrate Earth Day this year, we can be proud of the fact that our Lime products are used in many ways to benefit the environment. Some of those uses include;
- Removing sulfur from power plant emissions
- Treating waste water and drinking water
- Adding important nutrients to animal feed
- Making agricultural soils more productive
- Improving soil conditions for construction
Of course, as an extractive industry, we realize that our operations do impact the environment, and that we have a responsibility to manage those impacts in a positive way. We continually strive to protect and enhance our environment through activities such as;
- Improving quarry yield – we employ state-of-the-art mining techniques to make the most of every ton of stone we extract and thereby reduce waste in the mining process.
- Enhancing biodiversity – many of our sites have become important habitat for a number of wildlife and plant species. In particular, we have implemented projects to protect species such as;
- Peregrine Falcon – many of our operating plants have actively-breeding populations of falcon that have taken up residence on site and are proudly protected by our employees
- Snowy Ow
- Great Blue Heron
- Whitetail Deer
- Providing appropriate vegetation for food and cover, to support migration of species such as Monarch Butterfly and American Woodcock.
- Reducing Emissions – Carmeuse is continually improving and enhancing our manufacturing process in order to reduce emissions to air and water, to reduce energy consumption, and to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Using the latest vertical kiln technology, we are able to produce lime with significantly lower CO2 emissions
- We are steadily increasing our use of alternative engineered fuels which provide the energy we need while reducing carbon and sulfur emissions.
- Reducing water consumption and recycling wastewater.
- Restoring quarries
- Ensuring efficiency in product transportation, mainly by maximizing our use of rail instead of truck transport.
- And many others.
The Carmeuse commitment to the environment is a natural extension of who we are. We invite you to take a moment to consider what you can do to have a positive impact on your environment, to get involved in something that will benefit your community, and to visit our booth in Market Square to learn more about us!